Non-EU degree seeking students need a National multiple entry D type visa in order to arrive to Lithuania. They have to apply for it at the closest Embassy of Lithuania before arrival.
Please check Consular information of MFA of Lithuania
D type visa can be valid for 12 months the longest. Therefore, 4-5 months before the expiration of visa D students have to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) (valid for 1 or 2 years depending on student’s subsistence). 2-3 months before the expiration of TRP students have to apply for a TRP renewal.
Documents to be submitted for a D type visa:
- Application form
- Valid travel document (issued in the last ten years with a validity of at least 3 months longer than the period of validity of the visa applied for);
- Mediation letter number from the University;
- Health Insurance (valid in all Schengen countries till the expiration date of requested visa) for at least 30000 Eur;
- Bank statement confirming that you have sufficient amount of money to live in Lithuania (304 Eur per month = 3648 Eur per year + 555 Eur for travel expenses);
- One colour photo (35×45 mm);
- Paid fee of 120 Eur.
Documents to be submitted for TRP issuing:
You must first submit an application for an issue of a temporary residence permit electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS – http://www.migracija.lt/)
You must first submit an application for renewal of a temporary residence permit electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS – http://www.migracija.lt/)
You can see how to fill in the application form in this video.
After submitting the application and booking an appointment through MIGRIS, you must submit the biometric data and the following documents in person within 4 months from the date of submission of the application to MIGRIS:
- Application number (after submitting the application form using Lithuanian migration information system (MIGRIS));
2. Valid travel document (passport);
3. Mediation letter number from the University;
4. Consent of the parents or a parent, the guardian (carer) or other legal representative to the anticipated stay (studies) in the Republic of Lithuania, if the foreigner is a minor;
5. Bank statement confirming that you have sufficient amount of money to live in Lithuania (304 Eur per month = 3648 Eur per year);
6. Letter proving place of residence;
7. Health Insurance (valid in all Schengen countries till the expiration date of requested TRP) (sum insured – EUR 6,000);
8. Document certifying legal stay in Lithuania;
9. Paid state fee:
– on a general basis (2 months) – EUR 120
– on an urgent basis (1 month) – EUR 240
To learn more about migration rules and procedures in Lithuania check out:
- Migration information centre (MIC) “I Choose Lithuania”, which consults international students on questions related to legal stay in Lithuania, social guarantees, health care, work and employment free of charge. Consultations in the centre are in Lithuanian, English and German languages. http://www.renkuosilietuva.lt/en/
- Lithuanian migration department (MIGRIS) website http://www.migracija.lt/esu-studentas
N.B. Migration rules are prone to change always double check it with official sources.